The Gibberd Garden
The Gibberd Garden is an inspirational, Grade II listed garden, full of beauty,
peace and tranquillity, where every turn reveals another aspect or a work
of art. It was created by Sir Frederick Gibberd, an uncompromising Modernist
architect and the master-planner of Harlow New Town, who acquired the site
in 1957 and remodelled the house and garden, and from 1972 (on his marriage
to Patricia, Lady Gibberd) filled the grounds with sculptures, ceramic pots
and architectural pieces.
The garden has formal lawns, pools, streams and glades, a dramatic mature lime avenue (complete with medieval fonts), a brookside walk with a waterfall, a wild garden with a tangle of paths where children love to hide, a moated castle with drawbridge and a Barn Tearoom run by friendly volunteers - with cakes, ice creams and refreshments.
The former home of Sir Frederick and Lady Gibberd, conserved as they left it is open on Sundays only, by timed ticket.
"One of the most important post-war gardens in the country...where sculpture and plants complement each other perfectly." (BBC Gardeners' World)
This year's season is now starting on Saturday 1st April 2017 .
The gardens will be open from 2.00 to 4.30pm; Coffees, teas and cakes will be available. See also Special Events page.
Can you help us?
The Garden is almost entirely run by volunteers and we really need more people to get involved. Contact us find out more.
We are also indebted to the many photographers whose illustrations appear
on this website, including Rowan Isaacs, Roy Hammans and Howard Chan.
Help us conserve the Garden by making a donation